Friday, June 6, 2014

These research presentations have been enlightening. Each of us has chosen a different topic, done all the digging, and presenting the important information on different issues to the rest of the class. I have learned much. We have looked at PARCC several times throughout this class, enough that I can formulate a solid opinion on it. Whenever I learn that Pearson is behind something, the conspiracy theorist in me automatically takes over. I despise the massive trends of corporate conglomeration. Pearson has become the education conglomerate, and reliance on one for-profit company for so much of our educational resources is very disturbing.
However, in an attempt to suppress my inner conspiracy theorist, the PARCC test itself is a step in the right direction. I am a huge proponent of critical thinking, and testing those skills is difficult, but important (if standardized testing is to be done, that is). PARCC does test high-level thinking. As we have learned, it is very flawed. The technological bells and whistles are no substitute for clear directions. It may be too difficult. I looked at it a bit more after class, and struggled with some parts, and I fancy myself fairly skilled in English/language arts. It may be asking too much for high school students to ever score well on these tests. It is certainly asking too much for them to score well any time in the next few years. This high-level thinking requires scaffolding, and the tests should be scaffolded as well, perhaps with gradually increasing difficulty over the next five years or so.
Calan's presentation also greatly intrigued me. IB schools, with oversight, could be a very important and successful way of educating in our increasingly globalized world. I would love to teach at one. I am not sure if I would want to spend five years in Saudi Arabia, but if I did not have kids I would consider it. The idea that students in different countries receive the same quality education, preparing them for universities worldwide, is ambitious, but I think very important in the future. If IB schools are simply a networking opportunity, however, then our priorities are greatly misplaced (which is often the case).

1 comment:

  1. I share your unease with educational conglomerates. The tail begins to wag the dog. Privatization, I believe, is a terrible mistake. I also share your views about the PARCC. When discussion began about testing the Common Core, I hoped there would be a performance task. I still like the idea of a performance task, but these tasks are too difficult for students.

    ReplyDelete