Friday, May 30, 2014

In the roundtable discussion, the value/rule/guideline (whatever it is we called them) that I suggested, relating to technology, was synthesized based on my character's likely interest as the founder of an up-and-coming internet startup. However, I personally believe what I said. Perhaps not the comment about math and science being crucial. They are crucial, but personally I hated them, and consciously steered clear of any career that would have required me to take more than the minimum of college math and science. But I do see the importance, and feel that high levels of math and science should be available in high school to those students who are capable of taking them. Computer programming and web design should be offered. It is amazing what teenagers have done with technology. They can be vocational courses, just like auto shop. In an age where so many jobs move overseas, technological jobs are prevalent in this country. It is the future. 3D printing was unfathomable fifteen years ago. Who knows what technology will bring by the time my kids graduate from college.
Technology in its many forms is important in any classroom. It's amazing how assistive technology helps people with disabilities. There is a blind woman in the disabilities support center (or so I believe it is called) that is incredible with a smart phone. Her fingers move faster than a teenager texting all her friends at once. She uses all apps to run other assistive technology. It really does help people do things they would have great difficulty doing otherwise.
Among students without disabilities, technology is so important as well. Kids and teenagers are so technologically proficient, and they enjoy using technology. It is a way to engage students. For my own teaching, the ability to rip a video clip from a DVD, add it to a powerpoint, and integrate it in a lecture, with very little extra time and effort, is incredible. Technology certainly helps us teach to different learning styles. It also helps us access so much information. Government documents and other primary sources are at my fingertips. Learning has been transformed by technology, and, if utilized in the right manner, for the better.

1 comment:

  1. It's impossible for me to envision what will be coming up. I do imagine that whatever technologies develop will be even more intuitive. In the meantime, incorporation of technology will continue to be important.

    ReplyDelete